Thursday, February 5, 2009

Indoor Garden


My favorite thing to do in the entire world is gardening. It's a passion, it makes my life complete.

Unfortunately, I live in a small apartment in the city with a very tiny balcony. You can barely turn around on it and I do not get much sun. Plus, I am so busy that I rarely have time to devote myself to it as much as I would like to.

There is something I love about having flowers in the house. It makes my house complete, plus makes it smell incredible if you choose the right ones.

I was grocery shopping the other day and noticed that it is time for the bulbs to be planted. If you are not familiar with bulbs, you should be. Tulips and lilies are some examples of a bulb. It is essentially self-contained plant with the most spectacular flowers you will ever see.

So, I noticed that they are selling some in the garden center for very cheap, around $2. I usually force bulbs indoors for the home but I just have not had time, nor do I want to spend all that money right now. Even the soil is going up in price!

I bought a lovely pink hyacinth that barely had its leaves popping out. It is held in a peat moss container (the best as that breaks down and fertilizes the plant- plus, no trash!!!) and put it in a tiny little planter that I spray painted to put plants in around the house.

I have it right next to the TV, which also gets a good angle for the light off the balcony. I bought a few to keep on the bedroom windowsill too. Make sure you put them in a place that gets bright light, does not have to be direct necessarily. I'm not sure if the warmth and gorgeous glow off the TV is helping, but it is growing well.

I love watching it all day and seeing the progress it has made. I turn mine every morning so that each side gets a good amount of light.

Here are my best bet for indoor bulbs: hyacinths, tulips (the cheapest and you can fit many into a pot), paperwhites (the most lovely smell), small varieties of lilies, ranunuculus (mainly for the summer), and freesia.

Plus, you can easily color coordinate with your house.

So you only have to spend about $2 to bring gorgeous flowers into your house that smell amazing, especially if you are trying to cut down on costs but do not want to sacrifice the loveliness that is your home.

Before I forget, PLEASE make sure that whatever flowers you get will not harm your pets, the best addition to any household.

If you liked this post, please buy this graduate student a beer by clicking here