Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Spongeworthy


I don't really consider myself, nor do I claim to be a "green" person but I do believe that some of my tips not only help your wallet, but can help the planet too. I don't like waste. I really hate the process of throwing things away because that just makes our planet, and the love of my life Texas, a very dirty place.

So I try to make it a point not to waste and find little ways around it.

Enter the sponge. I love sponges. They come in all shapes and colors. Some have the scrubby layer on top which is always a plus.

But Kathleen, you say, sponges are disgusting!

Well that's true if you are gross about it. I use sponges to clean my counter tops, range, fridge, pretty much anything in the kitchen and then use a separate one for the bathroom.

It saves on paper towels and I never buy those pre-soaked wipes, waste of money. I use kitchen cleaner or vinegar, your choice. I prefer the chemical smell in my clean kitchen (don't call me green!)

I keep my sponges very clean. I either disinfect them in the dishwasher or put it in a plate with a little water and half a lemon and microwave it for about one minute. The microwave blasts all the germs and the lemon gets all the smells out.

So there you go. Good smelling sponges without throwing away a dozen paper towels a day. I hate that.

If you liked this post, please buy this graduate student a beer by clicking here